Wednesday, February 4, 2009

After lunch needlepoint


Here we are, in a sort of Mother/Daughter bliss.

This is my daughter, Tirzah. She's going to be 6 this April and we are sitting in my bed working on our needlepoint projects. Yes, her needle did go MIA in my bed when she was done working for the day. Hopefully I'll find it before I roll over on it tonight.

Her project is a small wall hanging for Valentine's Day that says "I love you" and has 2 hearts on it. It's for her father and I told her she would have to work on it every day to make sure it was done on time. My project is the Fall panel of my four seasons wall hanging. I am also working on a Besotted scarf for my husband for Valentine's Day - he's one lucky guy, getting all these hand made gifts.

She got bored after a while and got up, but she did manage to finish almost half of her first heart in a sort of wonky backstitch that I love to death just because she made it.

We're under the blankets because it's chilly and I'm not turning the heat up.

You can see the purple color of my walls that I love so much. The top blanket is the Feather and Fan shawl (Ravelry Link) in a worsted weight yarn. This was my first lace project and It was really difficult to figure out on lace weight yarn, so I switched to thicker yarn and suddenly it all seemed to make sense to me.

My youngest son has made a comic strip for my husband for Valentine's Day as well. The oldest two have no interest in making anything for anyone - I blame pre-teen angst and a pretension to "cool". They have no idea they are the nerdiest kids in the world. They're also still in the school room working on their math.



Photo by Zach Shalek, one of the angst-ridden kids.

3 comments:

Hadley Makes said...

That is just the cutest thing ever!

Some of my fondest memories are of doing needlepoint, cross stitch, and embroidery with my grandmother. I should send her this link. She's still recovering from the ice storm they had down in Kentucky. <3

a friend to knit with said...

oh! i love that you two were needlepointing in bed together! SO cute.
my daughter and i like to needlepoint, too. and i do think doing the same thing together is total bliss!

Elizabeth said...

Happy moments! I can't wait for this time to come (the needlepoint that is - not pre-teen angst).

My four year old wants to knit and sew whenever she sees me doing it - but at this point it's really just role playing and only serves to stop me from...you guessed it, knitting and sewing. But our day will come...just have to keep that interest alive until the motor skills catch up.