Friday, April 11, 2008

Finished Object Friday

I don't know about you, but I am forever starting new projects at the expense of finishing the old ones. It's not that I don't want to finish what I start, I just get bored and want to move on to something fresh and new. My husband is very glad this extends to craft projects and not relationships.

Before we were married we had an apartment and I started a few projects but hadn't finished anything yet. I looked around and it was a bit messy with dried flowers, bits of quilting fabric and cross stitch thread lying around and had a moment of panic. Suddenly, I was certain that he would never want to marry me because I was spending all this money on things and making the apartment messy with nothing to show for it. I was so sure this was a major character flaw that I was sobbing when I explained this to him. He laughed at me, gently, as he hugged me. It didn't (and still doesn't) matter to him if I ever finish anything or how much I spend of craft supplies (keeping the general household budget in mind) as long as I am happy.

He's such a keeper!

It's been about 17 years since then and although I have finished many things - often in a flurry right before a holiday or birthday - there is a lot left unfinished. It's bothering me, so to this end, I bring you Finished Object Friday - where I try to present one new finished object a week.

Ambitious? You bet. But if I know I've got to come up with a new finished thing every Friday I'll work harder at getting things completed.



Today's finished object is a denim skirt. This has been sitting in my mending pile, waiting for a waistband and a hem for a couple of years now. I'm really happy to say I had to take it in at the waist and hips since I first fitted it to my dress form.

Photo taken by my son, Ben, who completely doesn't understand blogging a domestic life.

1 comment:

Philigry said...

oh, it must feel good to get it done! it looks great!